Gran Fondo Pacifico
Saturday, April 20, 2024
Hidden underneath the early-morning fog, nestled among the towering oaks of the Laguna Seca Recreation Area, 300 cyclists will take on an unforgettable 50-mile ride across the historic California coast: the Gran Fondo Pacifico.
Check this iconic event off your cycling bucket list as you roll alongside hundreds of your new best friends, immersed in the sights, sounds and smells of the Pacific Ocean. Choose your riding adventure on this untimed recreational ride for all ages and abilities (including eBikes and recumbent cycles). Take in the breathtaking sights of Monterey at a comfortable pace or crank up the heat and put your Gran Fondo (“great endurance”) to the test.
See below for ride inclusions.
View details here for Gran Fondo Pacifico: Fees / Categories / Schedule
To register, click here.
You must register at least one day before your scheduled event. NO RIDE DAY REGISTRATION. No refunds or transfers of ride registration.
Registration packets must be picked up in person and you must present a valid photo ID. Pre-registered riders may pick up registration packets on race day morning. See ride schedule.
- Race course support: Feed Zones, medical team, basic mechanical support
- Complimentary parking
- Complimentary 4-day Festival Pass
- Complimentary post-ride showers
- Commemorative medal
- Secure bag drop
- Secure bike valet
- Post-race lunch and complimentary Sierra Nevada beer at the Casa Amigos Rider Lounge
Pre-Event Course Talks
February 8: Fuego XL/XC and Fuego SHORT – Course discussions, and Q & A
March 7: Carmelo/Pacifico/Robles – Routes discussion and Q & A
April 4: Gravity Events: Downhill, Dual Slalom and Enduro – Course discussions, and Q & A
Packet Pick-up hours
- Wednesday noon to 6 p.m.
- Thursday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday 6 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. (Pre-registered athlete packet pick-up only. No Registrations.)
Riders that have already registered online can pick-up their packets the same day as their ride.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries.
Rider Support includes mechanical and SAG support (including mobile tech) along the way. Enthusiastic volunteers provide fuel and hydration at the rest stations that dot the course. We also offer bike-and-bag valet service which you can take advantage of before and after the ride.
Children aged 12 and up are welcome to participate in Gran Fondo Pacifico when accompanied by a parent or guardian. Pedaling children only; no trailers allowed.
GRAN FONDO Safety and Rules
- This is not a race; it is a recreational ride. Please encourage and support your fellow cyclists in enjoying the ride.
- Obey all traffic laws. All cyclists are personally responsible for knowing and obeying all California traffic laws. This includes—but is not limited to—obeying traffic lights and stop signs. Violators may be ticketed by local law enforcement and/or disqualified and removed from the Gran Fondo.
- Ride safely and in control. Ride in single file whenever possible. California law requires riding single file on a busy or narrow street. Any cyclist who is deemed to be riding unsafely, discourteously, or recklessly will be removed from the Gran Fondo and banned from future Sea Otter events. Again, THIS IS A RIDE, NOT A RACE. Your safety, and the impact of your actions on the safety of others, are your responsibility.
- No headphones. No iPods or other items requiring headphones are allowed. California law does not allow headphones covering both ears while cycling.
- Helmets are mandatory. They are required by California law for children under 18. Sea Otter regulations require that adults wear them as well while participating in this or any Sea Otter event. The helmet worn must be an ANSI- or Snell-approved cycling helmet.
- Children ages twelve and up are welcome as cyclist participants on any of the three routes (no trailers).
- All children (ages twelve through seventeen) must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
- No tricycles, trailers, or other vehicles. The Gran Fondo is for bicycles only. Children ages twelve through seventeen are allowed as cyclist participants, as indicated in these rules. Sorry, no child of any age may be pulled in a trailer in the Gran Fondo, and no child under age twelve is allowed in the Gran Fondo on any route.
- No personal support vehicles.
- No unregistered participants. Unregistered riders will be prohibited from entering certain sections of the course during the Gran Fondo. They will not have access to refueling stations, finish line celebratory lunch, or other event activities.
- Registered participants must display their Gran Fondo number and wear their wristband. Please display your Gran Fondo number on your jersey, display your number on your handlebars, and wear your official Gran Fondo wristband. Any rider who fails to do so will not receive an official finish time.
- Held rain or shine. Please come prepared for any weather conditions.
Rider Safety Rules
- Obey all traffic laws. Riders are required to be familiar with California bicycle safety laws. Violators may be ticketed by local law enforcement, removed from the ride, or banned from future Life Time Sea Otter events. Visit here for more information: https://www.
- Yield to those with the right of way. All recreation trails and roads within the Gran Fondo routes are open to the public. Please be courteous to other users and yield when necessary.
- Ride safely and predictably. This includes riding single-file. Any rider found to be riding illegally, unsafely, recklessly, or discourteously will be removed from the Gran Fondo and banned from future Life Time Sea Otter events.
- Helmets are required for all riders. Only ANSI- or Snell-approved helmets are allowed.
- No headphones allowed.
- Bicycles only, including tandems. No tricycles, trailers, or other rigs. No personal support vehicles. No passengers allowed.
- No unregistered participants. All riders must display their Gran Fondo number (on jersey and handlebars) and wear their Gran Fondo wristband. Unregistered riders will be prohibited from accessing certain areas of the course and will not have access to refueling stations and post-ride activities.
- Be prepared for all weather conditions. Gran Fondo rides are held rain or shine. Life Time Sea Otter Classic maintains the right to alter the routes based on permit restrictions, current conditions, or construction impacts.
Rest Stop Closure Times
Please note that for safety reasons we do not want riders out on the road near or after dark. Therefore the Pacifico Route will adhere to predetermined rest stop close times to ensure all riders are back within a safe time period.
No refunds or transfers of ride registration.
Athletes are allowed to defer entry into the following year. This requires payment of a deferral fee equal to 40% of the original paid entry fee. A ride entry can only be deferred one time and only to the following year’s event. Deferrals must be completed no later than Sunday, April 14, 2024. Contact email@example.com for information.
If you choose to defer and you have purchased retail items during registration, please note the following. Retail purchases can be refunded if you selected to “Pickup” at the venue. Purchases completed as “Ship” cannot be refunded. Retail purchases will not carry over in a deferred entry.
All Sea Otter participants will be required to submit a release waiver and assumption of risk form. Save time in line by completing them in advance. All Sea Otter participants are required to wear an approved helmet- no exceptions. USA Cycling Helmet Policy