FUEGO XL: FRIDAY, APRIL 19, 2024
FUEGO XC & SHORT: SUNDAY, APRIL 21, 2024
Cross-country (XC) racing at Sea Otter is en Fuego (“on fire”).
Fuego tests the fire of each athlete by way of sandy climbs and flowy singletrack of the Fort Ord National Monument. Your inner spark will ignite with the starting pistol to motivate your mind and body over this challenging and fun course. After traversing Fort Ord’s picturesque hills and trails, Fuego racers roll into *Casa Amigos to swap race highlights over lunch and a beverage.
Choose between three unique cross-country distances — Fuego Short, Fuego XC and the Fuego XL. Medals awarded to the top three finishers in each category, and race winners receive a custom jersey.
Fuego Short Course (Junior Racers Only): Sunday, April 21, 2024
This spectator-friendly 3-mile circuit for our young riders (Grades 4-6) gives juniors a taste of the famous Sea Otter sandy climbs. Participants will start and finish at the Sea Otter Classic bridge with multiple viewing spots for lots of encouragement and support. Parents: after you grab a front-row seat for the sizzling action, you can join your juniors for post-race lunch at Casa Amigos* by purchasing an additional lunch with registration.
Fuego XC: Sunday, April 21, 2024
The boiling point is set at approximately 21 miles for this new for 2024 XC course that gains 3,500 feet over sandy climbs, flowy singletrack and Fort Ord’s diverse habitat and beautiful landscape. One of the most long-standing events at Sea Otter, the iconic XC race begins on Sunday and refines rookie riders into seasoned vets from the start to the finish line.
Fuego XL: Friday, April 19, 2024
Turn the burners on high for the exciting Fuego XL, a two-lap marathon event covering approximately 70 miles and 7,800 feet of elevation change and earn the title of El Campeon de Fuego…The Fuego XL also kicks off the 2024 Life Time Grand Prix, the newest off-road cycling series of seven iconic race events. Watch 70 of the best cyclists in the country crank up their 2024 season and compete for a $250,000 prize purse.
Not only will Fuego XL kick off the 2024 Life Time Grand Prix—but it’s also a qualifier for the iconic Race Across the Sky: the 2024 Leadville Trail 100 MTB, in Leadville, Colorado. All participants must start their 2nd lap by 2pm. Course closure for qualifying is at 4pm.
To register, click here.
Onsite registration at the event starts on Wednesday, April 17, 2024 at noon. Event registration closes at 6:00 p.m. the day prior to the scheduled event. If you have pre-registered, you can pick up your event number on event day – up to 30 minutes prior to event start time. NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
Registered athletes must pick up your race number in person (must have current, valid PHOTO ID). Pick up your race packet, complimentary 4-day Festival Pass, and purchase event merchandise at Athlete Registration.
Race Registration includes:
- Race course support: Feed Zone, medical team
- Complimentary parking
- Complimentary 4-day Festival Pass
- Complimentary post-ride showers
- Secure bag drop – Fuego XL only, details below
- Secure bike valet
- Post-race lunch and complimentary Sierra Nevada beer at the Casa Amigos Rider Lounge
Medals awarded to the top three finishers in each category, and race winners receive a custom jersey.
Leadville Qualifying Information
The Sea Otter Fuego XL is a qualifier for the Leadville Trail 100 MTB. There will be 50 LT100 qualifier coins up for grabs at this year’s race. Half of the total LT100 coins will be distributed based on performance and half of the coins will be given away in the Event Lottery at the conclusion of the awards ceremony. Only the Fuego XL distance serves as a qualifier for the LT100 MTB.
Half of the coins will be distributed based on performance:
- Slots will be distributed to each gender and age group (20-29, 30-39, etc.) based on the percentage of total athletes in those age groups, with a minimum of one slot for every age group.
- The top athletes in each age group will receive the allocated slots.
- In the event a top athlete elects not to accept a slot, the slot will roll down to the next athlete in the results within the age group.
- In the event slots are not claimed after the rolldown in each age group, those slots will be allocated to the Event Lottery, as described below.
Half of the coins will be distributed through the Event Lottery:
- Finishers of the Fuego XL distance will be eligible to win an LT100 MTB coin in the Event Lottery.
- All finishers under the predetermined maximum finish time who have indicated their desire to participate in the lottery will be entered in the lottery.
- Names will be drawn from the eligible lottery athletes and slots will be given out.
- In the event an athlete opts not to accept a slot, the slots will roll down to the next athlete that is drawn until ALL slots have been distributed.
- Qualification slots must be claimed in person immediately.
- Registration for the Leadville Trail 100 MTB must be completed and paid for during the designated time offered.
- Only solo riders completing the required distance under the allotted cutoff time will be considered as potential qualifiers.
- All registration fees for the LT100 MTB are non-transferable and non-refundable
Pre-Event Course Talks
February 8: Fuego XL/XC and Fuego SHORT – Course discussions, and Q & A
March 7: Carmelo/Pacifico/Robles – Routes discussion and Q & A
April 4: Gravity Events: Downhill, Dual Slalom and Enduro – Course discussions, and Q & A
Start Lists posted beginning March 1, 2024, and are updated each Monday with final start list being available on Monday April 15, 2024.
Have Questions? Contact: email@example.com
Course closure for Leadville qualifying is at 3pm.
Feed Zone Directions
CLICK HERE FOR: Feed Zone Directions
Bag Drop - Fuego XL
Packet Pick-up hours
- Wednesday noon to 6 p.m.
- Thursday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday 6 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. (Pre-registered athlete packet pick-up only. No Registrations.)
Riders that have already registered online can pick-up their packets the same day as their race
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries.
No refunds or transfers of race registration.
Athletes are allowed to defer entry into the following year. This requires payment of a deferral fee equal to 40% of the original paid entry fee. A race entry can only be deferred one time and only to the following year’s event. Deferrals must be completed no later than Sunday, April 14, 2024. Contact email@example.com for information.
If you choose to defer and you have purchased retail items during registration, please note the following. Retail purchases can be refunded if you selected to “Pickup” at the venue. Purchases completed as “Ship” cannot be refunded. Retail purchases will not carry over in a deferred entry.
All Sea Otter participants will be required to submit a release waiver and assumption of risk form. Save time in line by completing them in advance. All Sea Otter participants are required to wear an approved helmet- no exceptions. USA Cycling Helmet Policy
The Fort Ord National Monument is open to visitors during Sea Otter. Riders need to adhere to trail rules and passing speed limits when passing a rider going in the opposite direction. Passing speed limits during the tours (5 mph on single-track and 10 mph on roads) will be enforced.
|Cross Country Prize Purse
|Elite Men Fuego XC
|Elite Women Fuego XC
|Elite Men Fuego XL
|Elite Women Fuego XL