Gran Fondo Carmelo
presented by CyclingTips
The Gran Fondo Carmelo presented by CyclingTips is a 92-mile inland tour traversing the incredible landscape of the Salinas valley wine country. Take in the stunning views of Monterey county as you ride at a comfortable pace or push yourself to the limits. Gran Fondo, meaning “great endurance,” is an untimed recreational ride for all ages and abilities of cyclists, including eBikes and recumbent cycles.
All Gran Fondo Pacifico participants receive:
- Fully supported course – 4 aid stations with snacks and water
- Route mechanical support
- Complimentary parking
- Complimentary 4-day Festival Pass
- Complimentary post-ride showers
- Secure bag drop
- Secure bike valet
- Fully catered buffet lunch (10am-6pm on Saturday and Sunday)
- Complimentary Sierra Nevada beer
- Commemorative finisher’s medal.
- Exclusive access to the Casa Amigos Rider Lounge
Arriving at the Venue
Whether you plan to arrive at Sea Otter via car, bike or public transportation, you should review the directions to the venue before you set out. Many roads surrounding Laguna Seca will be closed to traffic during the event so you should plan your route in advance and allow ample time when you arrive at Sea Otter to get to your destination. Gran Fondo routes start at the Tire Bridge and finish in the Raceway Paddock.
You must register at least one day before your scheduled event.
NO EXCEPTIONS-NO RIDE DAY REGISTRATION
No refunds, transfers, or rollovers of ride registration.
Registration packets must be picked up in person and you must present a valid photo ID. Pre-registered riders may pick up registration packets on race day morning. See ride schedule.
View your registration & purchase details, complete self-edits such as transfers, and purchase any additional merchandise.
Packet Pick-up hours
- Wednesday noon to 6 p.m.
- Thursday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday 6 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (Pre-registered athlete packet pick-up only. No Registrations.)
Riders that have already registered online can pick-up their packets the same day as their race
Rider Support includes mechanical and SAG support (including mobile tech) along the way. Enthusiastic volunteers provide fuel and hydration at the rest stations that dot the course. We also offer bike-and-bag valet service which you can take advantage of before and after the ride.
Children aged 12 and up are welcome to participate in Gran Fondo Pacifico when accompanied by a parent or guardian. Pedaling children only; no trailers allowed.
GRAN FONDO Safety and Rules
- This is not a race; it is a recreational ride. Please encourage and support your fellow cyclists in enjoying the ride.
- Obey all traffic laws. All cyclists are personally responsible for knowing and obeying all California traffic laws. This includes—but is not limited to—obeying traffic lights and stop signs. Violators may be ticketed by local law enforcement and/or disqualified and removed from the Gran Fondo.
- Ride safely and in control. Ride in single file whenever possible. California law requires riding single file on a busy or narrow street. Any cyclist who is deemed to be riding unsafely, discourteously, or recklessly will be removed from the Gran Fondo and banned from future Sea Otter events. Again, THIS IS A RIDE, NOT A RACE. Your safety, and the impact of your actions on the safety of others, are your responsibility.
- No headphones. No iPods or other items requiring headphones are allowed. California law does not allow headphones covering both ears while cycling.
- Helmets are mandatory. They are required by California law for children under 18. Sea Otter regulations require that adults wear them as well while participating in this or any Sea Otter event. The helmet worn must be an ANSI- or Snell-approved cycling helmet.
- Children ages twelve and up are welcome as cyclist participants on any of the three routes (no trailers).
- All children (ages twelve through seventeen) must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
- No tricycles, trailers, or other vehicles. The Gran Fondo is for bicycles only. Children ages twelve through seventeen are allowed as cyclist participants, as indicated in these rules. Sorry, no child of any age may be pulled in a trailer in the Gran Fondo, and no child under age twelve is allowed in the Gran Fondo on any route.
- No personal support vehicles.
- No unregistered participants. Unregistered riders will be prohibited from entering certain sections of the course during the Gran Fondo. They will not have access to refueling stations, finish line celebratory lunch, or other event activities.
- Registered participants must display their Gran Fondo number and wear their wristband. Please display your Gran Fondo number on your jersey, display your number on your handlebars, and wear your official Gran Fondo wristband. Any rider who fails to do so will not receive an official finish time.
- Held rain or shine. Please come prepared for any weather conditions.
Rider Safety Rules
- Obey all traffic laws. Riders are required to be familiar with California bicycle safety laws. Violators may be ticketed by local law enforcement, removed from the ride, or banned from future Life Time Sea Otter events. Visit here for more information: https://www.
- Yield to those with the right of way. All recreation trails and roads within the Gran Fondo routes are open to the public. Please be courteous to other users and yield when necessary.
- Ride safely and predictably. This includes riding single-file. Any rider found to be riding illegally, unsafely, recklessly, or discourteously will be removed from the Gran Fondo and banned from future Life Time Sea Otter events.
- Helmets are required for all riders. Only ANSI- or Snell-approved helmets are allowed.
- No headphones allowed.
- Bicycles only, including tandems. No tricycles, trailers, or other rigs. No personal support vehicles. No passengers allowed.
- No unregistered participants. All riders must display their Gran Fondo number (on jersey and handlebars) and wear their Gran Fondo wristband. Unregistered riders will be prohibited from accessing certain areas of the course and will not have access to refueling stations and post-ride activities.
- Be prepared for all weather conditions. Gran Fondo rides are held rain or shine. Life Time Sea Otter Classic maintains the right to alter the routes based on permit restrictions, current conditions, or construction impacts.
Rest Stop Closure Times
Please note that for safety reasons we do not want riders out on the road near or after dark. Therefore the Pacifico Route will adhere to predetermined rest stop close times to ensure all riders are back within a safe time period.
- 7:30 am Event start
- 10:00 am Gallo (Talbotts) Vineyards Rest stop 1 closed
- 12:30 pm Zabala Vineyards Rest stop 2 closed
- 3:30 pm Cahoon Summit Rest stop 3 closed
- 5:00 pm Los Laureles Lodge Rest stop 4 closed
- 6:00 pm Finish Line / course closed.
Rent A Bike
Unlimited Biking is the official bike rental partner for Sea Otter Classic. Select from the range of Cannondale rental bikes that can be picked up on-site at the event, helmets included. Rental packages include event/race specific rentals, day rentals, and weekend rentals. Book your bike in advance!