Gran Fondo Carmelo
presented by CyclingTips
The Gran Fondo Carmelo presented by CyclingTips is a 92-mile inland tour traversing the incredible landscape of the Salinas valley wine country. Take in the stunning views of Monterey county as you ride at a comfortable pace or push yourself to the limits. Gran Fondo, meaning “great endurance,” is an untimed recreational ride for all ages and abilities of cyclists, including eBikes and recumbent cycles.
All Gran Fondo Carmelo participants receive a 4-day festival pass, complimentary parking, a celebratory lunch after the ride and a commemorative finisher’s medal. A post-ride shower trailer is available and riders will also receive a ticket for one adult beverage at the Sierra Nevada Beer Garden.
Arriving at the Venue
Whether you plan to arrive at Sea Otter via car, bike or public transportation, you should review the directions to the venue before you set out. Many roads surrounding Laguna Seca will be closed to traffic during the event so you should plan your route in advance and allow ample time when you arrive at Sea Otter to get to your destination. Gran Fondo routes start at the Tire Bridge and finish in the Raceway Paddock.
You must register at least one day before your scheduled event.
NO EXCEPTIONS-NO RIDE DAY REGISTRATION
No refunds, transfers, or rollovers of ride registration.
Registration packets must be picked up in person and you must present a valid photo ID. Pre-registered riders may pick up registration packets on race day morning. See ride schedule.
Packet Pick-up hours
- Wednesday noon to 6 p.m.
- Thursday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. (Pre-registered athlete packet pick-up only. No Registrations.)
Riders that have already registered online can pick-up their packets the same day as their ride.
Rider Support includes mechanical and SAG support (including mobile tech) along the way. Enthusiastic volunteers provide fuel and hydration at the rest stations that dot the course. We also offer bike-and-bag valet service which you can take advantage of before and after the ride.
Children aged 12 and up are welcome to participate in Gran Fondo Pacifico when accompanied by a parent or guardian. Pedaling children only; no trailers allowed.
Rider Safety Rules
For your safety and the safety of other riders and pedestrians on the course, please familiarize yourself with the following safety rules:
- Obey all traffic laws. Riders are required to be familiar with California bicycle safety laws. Violators may be ticketed by local law enforcement, removed from the ride, or banned from future Sea Otter events.
- Yield to those with the right of way. All trails and roads within the Gran Fondo are open to the public. Please be courteous to other users and yield when necessary.
- Ride safely and predictably. This includes riding single-file whenever possible. Any rider found to be riding illegally, unsafely, recklessly, or discourteously will be removed from the Gran Fondo and banned from future Sea Otter events.
- Helmets are required for all riders. Only ANSI- or Snell-approved helmets are allowed.
- No headphones allowed.
- Bicycles only, including tandems. No tricycles, trailers, or other rigs. No personal support vehicles. No passengers allowed.
- No unregistered participants. All riders must display their Gran Fondo number (on jersey and handlebars) and wear their Gran Fondo wristband. Unregistered riders will be prohibited from accessing certain areas of the course and will not have access to refueling stations and post-ride activities.
- Be prepared for all weather conditions. Gran Fondo rides are held rain or shine. Sea Otter maintains the right to alter the route based on trail conditions.
Rest Stop Closure Times
Please note that for safety reasons we do not want riders out on the road near or after dark. Therefore the Pacifico Route will adhere to predetermined rest stop close times to ensure all riders are back within a safe time period.
- 7:30 am Event start
- 10:00 am Gallo (Talbotts) Vineyards Rest stop 1 closed
- 12:30 pm Zabala Vineyards Rest stop 2 closed
- 3:30 pm Cahoon Summit Rest stop 3 closed
- 5:00 pm Los Laureles Lodge Rest stop 4 closed
- 6:00 pm Finish Line / course closed.
All Sea Otter participants will be required to submit a release waiver and assumption of risk form, and additional COVID documentation as required by State/County/City agencies. Save time in line by completing them in advance. All Sea Otter participants are required to wear an approved helmet- no exceptions.
Rent A Bike
Unlimited Biking is the official bike rental partner for Sea Otter Classic. Select from the range of Cannondale rental bikes that can be picked up on-site at the event, helmets included. Rental packages include event/race specific rentals, day rentals, and weekend rentals. Book your bike in advance!