The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) strictly enforces the laws regarding alcohol consumption at special events, such as the Sea Otter Classic. The ABC uses a number of methods to prevent the problems associated with the unlawful purchase and consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors. These include the Minor Decoy Program, the Shoulder Tap Program, and Operation Trapdoor.
In accordance with our Monterey County Special Event Use Permit and insurance policy, only beer and wine are to be served at the Sea Otter Classic. For the safety and enjoyment of all who attend Sea Otter, the following rules must be observed:
- Beer and wine only. No other alcohol beverages are permitted.
- Beer and wine may only be served to—or possessed, consumed, or purchased by—individuals age twenty-one and up. A valid ID is required.
- Beer and wine may only be sold by preapproved vendors.
- Personal use of beer and wine in single-serving containers is permitted. This does not include allowing the use by way of sampling or the distribution of single-serving containers at promotional events or private parties/organized gatherings. For these occasions, please refer to the programs below.
- Beer kegs are not allowed, since they are not designed for personal use.
For your convenience, we have developed two programs to facilitate ease of compliance with these Alcohol Policy rules:
- Beer and Wine Tickets: As a sponsor, team, or exhibitor, if you wish to serve alcohol, it is necessary to purchase drink tickets in advance for your group to use throughout the four-day event. The tickets can be redeemed for beer or wine at Sea Otter-approved pouring stations. There will be several pouring stations throughout the venue. The tickets will be sold in packets of fifty and may be purchased from the director of the Vendor and Caterer Services Program (VCSP). Unused tickets may be returned to the VCSP, by close of business on Sunday of the Sea Otter Classic, for a full refund.
- Promotional Events and Private Parties: Beer and wine tickets will be required for promotional events and private parties/organized gatherings. The Sea Otter VCSP will manage the distribution of alcoholic drinks at these gatherings. This will include the hiring, at your expense, of a designated server.
For additional information regarding this policy, including pricing, please contact Zeph Despard, Director, VCSP at (831) 229-3238 or ZDespard@gmail.com.