Saturday April 12, 2014
Safety and Rules
- This is not a race, it is a recreational ride. Please encourage and support your fellow cyclists in enjoying the ride.
- Obey all traffic laws. All cyclists are personally responsible for knowing and obeying all California traffic laws. This includes—but is not limited to—obeying traffic lights and stop signs. Violators may be ticketed by local law enforcement and/or disqualified and removed from the Gran Fondo.
- Ride safely and in control. Ride in single file whenever possible. California law requires riding single file on a busy or narrow street. Any cyclist who is deemed to be riding unsafely, discourteously, or recklessly will be removed from the Gran Fondo and banned from future Sea Otter events. Again, THIS IS A RIDE, NOT A RACE. Your safety, and the impact of your actions on the safety of others, are your responsibility.
- No headphones. No iPods or other items requiring headphones are allowed. California law does not allow headphones covering both ears while cycling.
- Helmets are mandatory. They are required by California law for children under 18. Sea Otter regulations require that adults wear them as well while participating in this or any Sea Otter event. The helmet worn must be an ANSI or Snell-approved cycling helmet.
- Children ages twelve and up are welcome as cyclist participants on any of the routes (no trailers).
- All children (ages twelve through seventeen) must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
- No tricycles, trailers, or other vehicles. The Gran Fondo is for bicycles only. Children ages twelve through seventeen are allowed as cyclist participants, as indicated in these rules. Sorry, no child of any age may be pulled in a trailer in the Gran Fondo, and no child under age twelve is allowed in the Gran Fondo on any route.
- No personal support vehicles.
- No unregistered participants. Unregistered riders will be prohibited from entering certain sections of the course during the Gran Fondo. They will not have access to refueling stations, finish line celebratory lunch, or other event activities.
- Registered participants must display their Gran Fondo number and wear their wristband. Please display your Gran Fondo number on your jersey, display your number on your handlebars, and wear your official Gran Fondo wristband. Any rider who fails to do so will not receive an official finish time.
- Held rain or shine. Please come prepared for any weather conditions.